Friday, April 15, 2005

They say the neon lights are bright...

I finally overcame my "but it'll just be expensive spectactle!" stigma regarding Broadway shows, and took last night's performance of Twelve Angry Men. In the win category for me, I was right about there being horrendously over-the-top spectacle - at two points in the play, the entire set slides over, floor and all, by about ten feet - which served no other function than to show off that such a feat could be done. On the other hand, WOW! was that ever a fantastically acted piece. Ye gods, everyone and everything was so ridiculously well performed and staged. And while the piece lacks the thought-provocation of richard foreman or the call to direct social action of Boal, as far as indulgent nights at the theatre are concerned, it was unquestionably sublime.

To be frank, though, the audience was oddly touristy and underdressed compared to the mental image I had held of seeing a broadway show. I was all worried about my uncivilized demeanor and generally bad manners giving me away as a Broadway newbie, but I think I was the most dressed up one there (if only because I wasn't wearing a fanny pack). Still and all, a good time was had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's what struck me, too, when I went to my first B'way play. I got all dressed up and while some people were also in their formal attire there were tons of people in shorts and tops. I was sadly disillusioned...