Sunday, April 24, 2005

Dr. Science meets Dr. Cube

Kaiju Big Battel (no, that's not a typo) held a DVD release party at CBGB's last night, with performances by five cah-razy Japanese Punk Bands and appearances by Kaiju wrestlers Kung Fu Chicken Noodle, the American Beetle, and that evil incarnate himself, Dr. Cube. The punk bands were nuts, honestly out of their minds with drive to offer the most intense, fun show possible - and they did a pretty fine job. Peedlander Z dressed up like what you'd get if fruit, the Village people, and the costume dept. of your high school's drama group had babies who only spoke japanese and played guitar really well. The bizarro-award of the night went to MC Manmoth and DJ Eagle, though, whose act consisted entirely of dressing in different cotumes and inviting people from the audience on stage to dance with them and drink tequila as they played old, obscure songs from the seventies. They, themselves, played no music, and did not sing. Oh, and sometimes they'd ask people to hit them in the face with this giant rubber band they had.

The song titles from the various bands were usually the only things said in English, and favorites included: "I dance because I want to eat your smile," "mystery animal: rock n' roll," " thrash thrash thrash," and my favorite lyric of the evening, "we know we can't change the world, so can we just please rock now?"

The highlight of the evening had to have been meeting Dr. Cube, though. I was wearing a Dr. Cube shirt given to me by my sister, and when Cube was walking through the audience, he saw my shirt, walked over and put his arm around me, slapped me on the chest and gave me the thumbs up before turning away and shoving somebody else out of his way. Oh, that Dr. Cube.

I managed to pick up the new Kaiju DVD and a sweet "Danger Can Happen" T-shirt, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For everyone not aware of the magnanimous nature of this meeting, I have listed some of Dr Cube's stats (which kind of reads like a bad Babelfish translation):

Name: Dr. Cube
Type: Destroys by appointment
Height: 80 meters
Weight: 12,200 cc of poisoned lead
Attack: Malpractice technique, scalpel kick, morphonic knockout, hospital hara horror
Wins/lose: 9/15
Allies: Everyone in the Posse
Enemies: Uchu Chu, Silver Potato, Los Plantanos
Dr. Cube is mostly evil plastic surgeon helps hide him. In real is monster man with amazing blood spattering square head. Good monsters not fooled by his offers to fix harelip, he is the spooky danger element. Prime evil of Kaiju Big Battel is very mysterious and expensive doctor. He wearing white gloves of keep hands free from evidence and is only using special surgery tool for attack and kill all monsters opposing.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the Dr. Cube-attracting Mojo we had imbibed into your t-shirt before we gave it to you paid off. :) My favorite Japanese song title has got to be "I know my chicken" by Chibo Matto. Maybe Kung Fu Chicken Noodle would've appreciated them playing that one at the show.

Anonymous said...

Damn, I was right around the corner and didn't have a clue this was happening! As a future med student, I would have liked to meet Dr. Cube and ask him where he did his residency...