Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I've got a broken face/mother's little vampire

Andrew, the other roomate about whom these blogs seem to never say anything, joined with me in an effort to fix the window to our fire escape. Then he smashed said window and his own weight onto my face. We have fun, he and I. The window didn't break, as I really caught more of the frame than than the glass.
As a scientist, I will use this opportunity to conclude from my relatively minor (i.e. one cut across the bridge of my nose) injuries that my years of accidental self-inflicted injuries have not been without benefit. I kinda shrugged it off and then he and I ate some cake.

THEN, I had the great experience of learning that I had induced - by spending time outside saturday - a condition known as PMLE (polymorphous light eruption) which is basically a fancy way of saying that my skin doesn't want to see the sun ever again, and neither do I. Seven hours in the emergency room later, I'm chocked full of drugs and no longer feel the urge to allow rabid animals to gnaw the flesh from my body.

Sigh...I hope you're all organ donors, because I can only expect things to improve from here...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your worried sister, are you okay??? I'm allergic to the sun myself--but anything that makes your skin sound like a volcano can't be good! What on earth is PMLE?

Anonymous said...

As your worried sister, are you okay??? I'm allergic to the sun myself--but anything that makes your skin sound like a volcano can't be good! What on earth is PMLE?

Anonymous said...

I'm picturing Nazi baddie Major Toht at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," when he looks in the Ark and his face melts off. Is PMLE anything like that?

So does this mean you'll have to dress up like Stephen Dorff in "Blade," with a shaded motorcycle helmet and white pancake makeup? That would be awesome.

ATF

The once and future Dr. Science said...

"it's what happens when white people go on vacation...you should invest in a sombrero" says my doctor, when explaining the problem to me. Apparently keeping my skin away from the sun for months and then exposing it to a lot of sun all at once drove it insane.

And yes, Andy, I'd love some pancakes.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, Dr. Science on the beach with a belt buckle from the future, spiked bracelets and a sombrero. That's quite an image.

ATF

Anonymous said...

Light eruption my ass--it's probably just large papular lesions of an eczematous type, possibly assuming an annular configuration.

And I believe a ski mask would be more effective than a sombrero. Oh, and avoid garlic and pointy sticks for a while.

The once and future Dr. Science said...

"Fanciest American?" Don't I know you from someplace? I can't even remember...the name rings a bell, but...wait - didn't you work at that taco stand? No, that's not it...

Maybe I'll check your blog, to see if I recognize you, stranger...