Saturday, April 23, 2005

Bjorkestra

I'm beginning to think that New York is a lot like the internet. It has everything you could possibly ever think of, and some stuff you wouldn't; you either have to know what you're looking for, or you have to stumble on it.

And so it was by stumbling that Andrew and I came to attend a performance last night of the Bjorkestra, a twenty-or-so-person brass band that does big band versions of Bjork songs. Honestly, I never would have thought that "enjoy" needed a bass trombone solo, but boy does it ever benefit from one. "All is full of love" with saxophones was incredible, too - which was on par for all the other songs they played. They're playing again on my birthday, so maybe I'll have to check that out.

EDIT: if you go here, and click on "mp3's" you can check out their version of "Army of me."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what was the lead singer like?

The once and future Dr. Science said...

What do you mean? Physically, she was a short-ish woman with black hair and a cool 70's punk air about her. With respect to her performance, she did a fantastic job - I thinks he knew she wasn't going to sound like Bjork, and therefore came up with something really creative and original to do with the lyrics -- and she did a hell of a job, says I.

p.s. PLEASE DO NOT POST ANONYMOUSLY. the suspense makes me cranky. leave your name, or something.