Monday, November 27, 2006

This is awful. Here, you try.

I'm kind of surprised that I don't blog more about music. Recently someone told me that they had never seen me without my headphones either on or in my hand, and the person in question sees me pretty frequently. I walk with music, section and dissect at work with music, fall asleep to music - you get the idea. And while somewhere in the back of my head there lurks the vague beginnings of a "my NYC soundtrack" blogpost, I thought I'd take this opportunity to mention a few eccentric bits of music I think you would find fun because of their sheer terribleness:

1) Harry and the Potters - this is a band that performs songs based on the Harry Potter novels. Do I even need to say anything else? Their songs are awful both musically AND lyrically. The emo theme,"I am a wizard," is particulary awesome.

2) Starsplash - I'm not sure how many people know this, but I thrive in a work environment filled with terrible trance techno music. Seriously, I can pump out 50+ page papers like nobody's business when there's bad, mind-numbing trance music in the background. And if you've ever taken the time to listen to the lyrics, they're like horrible 7th grade poetry. One need look no further than Starsplash's "Travel Time":
Take my hand to travel time,
So we can run away forever,
There's a chance we cross the line,
And we can do this thing together,
And my heart goes out to everyone,
A light will shine on him,
So please lay down your heart,
'Cause this is who I am.
[drum breakdown]
Bass in your face!


3)Remixes that just don't work - Say, what's better than listening to one song you like? That's right: listening to two songs you like! But who has time for all that? Oh, I know, let's just lay one on top of the other and call it a remix. Don't worry if they clash horribly. Snoop Dogg and Riders on the Storm? sure, why not! An Eminem track and a song by Shaggy AND Survivor's eye of the tiger? Ooh, a hat trick of auditory trauma!

4) Anything with Lil' Jon - This man is a genius. He's the illegitimate musical love-child of Flava-Flav and James Brown and he has exactly ONE brilliant performance which he recreates on every single track on which he appears. And he's on DOZENS from countless rap artists. And a commercial for Subway sandwiches. The coup de grace? I once heard a music critic from the New York Times describe him as being the new minstrel show. The man shook his head in shame just from seeing Lil Jon dance! How is this not all you listen to?

There's a LOT of terrifically horrible music out there, just waiting to be found.

1 comment:

Mango Pancakes said...

I could email you, but it's more fun to tell you publicly for no reason: I'll be in NYC this weekend. Want to hang out?