Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Risotto-tastic (risotto-riffic?)

So I'm learning to cook. I had wanted to take cooking classes, but it turns out they're crazy expensive here and didn't actually make learning to cook sound like much fun. Well, it just so happens that a little while ago I ran into someone I met during my college orientation at UM right here in the neighborhood. We'd never really gotten to know each other, but we were always on good terms and would say hello, that sort of thing. It turns out she's a chef at a well-known fancy restaurant in NYC - and here I cannot over-stress the importance of the following credential - the very same restaurant which has been reserved for Thanksgiving dinner by David Bowie.

Anyways, long story short, we struck up a deal for her to teach me to cook. We get together and shop for ingredients for a menu, preare the food under her instruction, and then host a dinner party. We had out first one Sunday, and it was so much fun!

We made risotto with roasted candy-stripe beets and kale, and a salad of roasted squash, bitter greens, and walnuts in a walnut oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. We finished it up with an apple crisp with soy cream. Perfect for a chilly fall evening with friends.

I think we'll be doing these every couple of weeks, so I'm very excited!

No comments: