Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The slick get weird

A few months ago I was on the subway, when a rather disreputable-looking fellow - what some might term a "player" - approached a respectable, well-dressed young professional woman and asked her where her stop was. She responded, somewhat unsure of why this guy was asking her. He replied, "how about instead you get out at the next stop with me and we go get some kentucky fried chicken?" Her reply? "Yeah, okay!"

I assumed that what I'd witnessed was an odds-maker's nightmare - that outcome you could only get once if you asked the same question twelve billion times. I was comfortable in that assumption, until yesterday.

As I walked to my class from the subway I passed a Wendy's. A really attractive, professional, well-organized-looking woman was walking the other way, and this guy just walks right up to her and says,"Hey! Let me holla at you! You need to come with me and get some wendy's." Her reply? "Um, sure, sounds good!" And off they went.

This makes me think even more that I'm just not understanding something. Sadly, if my confusion drove me to drink, I could find the same inexplicable oddity there: on saturday I came across flasks at a chinatown dept. store that had, engraved on the front, the words "YOUR FISH SAMPLE." Is that like, "your feet stink, your feet sample," or "here in this flask is your fish sample," or what?

Sigh...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great marketing ploy--stage odd scenarios such as those you mention, hoping that the witnesses thereof will think to themselves, "Wow, Kentucky Fried Chicken must be the best thing ever! I want to go, too...."

Anonymous said...

Dude, that's messed up.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing it meant "sample this too often and you will become like a fish" because that makes the most sense to me...if any. As for going with people who offer food, please don't....go or offer. This is too strange, even for NY.

Anonymous said...

You should start a formal study--ask 100 random attractive women to get fast food with you, and see how many agree to do it. So far, it sounds like a reasonable estimate would be 100%.