Sunday, June 12, 2005

Malirhubarbie Dreamhouse: where I am right now

I finally found some rhubarb this weekend at the farmer's market, thereby allowing me to silence with deliciousness the inexplicable and nagging sense that I really wanted to have this rhurarb dessert my mother makes. It turned out really well - although, of course, not quite as good as my mother's. The story of my finding rhubarb and making the dessert is really boring, but I'm including the recipe in the comments section because making it is both easy and the right thing to do.


...."silence with deliciousness?"

1 comment:

The once and future Dr. Science said...

Rhubarb Bars
(recipe from my dear mother)

3 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
(add about 4 to 5 drops almond extract while cooking)

Mix cornstarch and sugar. Add rest of above ingredients and cook (I used a saucepan) until thick. (basically, you need to soften up the rhubarb and reduce the sauce)

Mix:
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix dry ingredients (as well as possible) then pour on rhubarb mixture and mix in 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.