Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I saw the museum's new exhibit. It stunk.

Nothing says "Welcome to the MOMA," and "thanks for using the precious few hours on saturday morning before you go to work by coming here," like poop on the floor. Honest to god poop. Thanks, MOMA. Elsewhere in the museum, the Jeff Wall exhibit is underwhelming, but the Armando Reveron retrospective surprised me by being very interesting. Dude was a weird guy, but I like his strange/creepy doll constructions and his white paint/off white canvas works. His self portraits really speak to his intensity and fixation of his work. And you can skip the Abbas Kiarostami exhibit; just enjoy how it sounds on paper and leave it at that.

I also may have eaten at the world's smallest Thai restaurant on Saturday. See why work appears as such a safe bet sometimes?

Okay, good news and bad news. Bad news? I have somehow set Blogger to German Language. I mean, I know what the buttons do, but still. Good news? I have invented "creme bruloaf." That is the what...I need the how!

7 comments:

Mango Pancakes said...

I think the how has a lot to do with the size of the pan. N'est pas?

The once and future Dr. Science said...

Cannot the same be said of all religions?

No, I mean, certainly you're right. But your thinking is stage three thinking, and I'm at stage one (i.e. the "i just made up the idea for this while sitting in the bathtub" stage). The question, which andrew and I discussed extensively while riding the N train into Manhattan this morning, is whether Creme Bruloaf should be a big loaf of just creme brulee, or something like a big creampuff kind of shell in loaf form with creme brulee inside, or more like a traditional loaf of pastry with some sort of creme brulee top on it. Maybe just sugar bruleed on creamy bread?

I can't decide! Then Andrew and I talked about side-dishes like Abraham Lincorn (corn chowder served in a stovepipe hat? Just when you thought it couldn't get worse!) DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU ARE MISSING BY MOVING AWAY, MS. PANCAKES?

Anonymous said...

perhaps a creamy vanilla bread pudding-type concoction prepared in a loaf pan that has sugar on top that can be bruleed with one of those kitchen torches? delicious...

Mango Pancakes said...

I can picture that conversation exactly! I wish I was still there...(single tear)

I never even thought of all the other possibilities that could be given the name "Creme Bruloaf!" I have to say, however, that I think the pure goodness of creme brulee doesn't lend itself to combinations with bread products. Call me a purist, but I think--at least for starters--that you should go for sheer volume and shape, but keep the original recipe. Then move on from there...

Also, question: why corn chowder? Is it it because he's from Illinois, where a lot of corn is grown? If so, I think it's brilliant. Forget bread bowls, bring on the various hats!

Mango Pancakes said...

Obama Bisque? In what type of receptacle could that be served?

Ok, I'll stop.

S said...

i pictured a loaf of bread, say some pan de mie? or brioche? that was soaked in creme brule before it is cooked. then you cook it and fire the crust of the bread. tricky either way.

Anonymous said...

All right, here is your culinary challenge, but Andrew must assist! Create the Ark of the CoveNachos. :)