Friday, September 22, 2006

I was a Craig's List Missed Connection

Yes yes yes, I've been sick and am behind on my updates. Well I'm also behind on my laundry, so we'll get to both of those later. For now, though, there's this:

For those unaware of the Missed Connection section of Craig's List, it's where people post messages about someone they either had a moment with in passing or just admired from afar while riding the same subway train, that sort of thing. I, and several of my close friends, read it quite regularly because it is brilliant for people watching - reading about moments shared and missed, unrequited love from someone you see everyday on the same train, and that certain totally random someone you just can't get out of your mind.

And now, after years as a reader, I am the subject of such a message.

I noticed this headline and message among the missed connections, in the woman looking for man category:
tall guy reading on the N from brooklyn - w4m - 28 I see you some mornings- usually you are reading a book and looking serious under your fraying baseball cap... What would it take to get you to smile?

So I think, "well, I take the N from brooklyn in the morning, I'm tall, I'm usually reading and not smiling, and I wear a frayed baseball cap." So I send a very simple message asking if this was about me, with a picture, and here's the response I got:

"yup, you are the tall stranger :)
I'm surprised (and a little
embarrased) that you actually saw my post! I didn't think these things
ever worked- what are the chances?? I just put it out there on a whim.
but I'm glad it made you smile :)

So um, I guess you know I think you're cute-- do you have a
girlfriend? Would you like to meet up sometime?

Colleen
PS- here is a pic of me from July"


Honestly, more than anything else I just find this flattering.

1 comment:

Mango Pancakes said...

Oh. My. God. Craigslist is brilliant. I used to read the Missed Connections pretty much as a daily habit when I had a desk job. You know we all want to be featured on one of them, even if the person sending it is completely scary! How lucky you are. Also, what did you think of her? Is there going to be any follow-up?