Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Big Reveal

I don't usually like to jinx things. I take particular care to not let out bits of optimistic chatter when things might still not come to pass as I'd hoped. But, in this case, I've slipped up already to a number of you. And, after yesterday, my exciting secret plans have gotten even more exciting, so I'm just going to risk it and let you all in on my enthusiasm.

Fountain House is the oldest, largest, and most well-known clubhouse (read: member run support organization) for adults with mental illness in the world. It is also the clubhouse on which all other clubhouses are based, and, as one administrator there said, "If Fountain House does it, everyone else will do it." The Fisher Clubhouse, with whom I collaborated to create the Fisher Players, is one such clubhouse and ineed does have ties to Fountain House.

To make a long story short, it was through these ties and a performance by the Fisher Players attended by Fountain House staff that I was recently asked to start a program for Fountain House as I had done at the Fisher Clubhouse: a troupe to create plys based on members' experiences and focused on combatting the stigma around, and mistratement of, those with mental illness. I had one meeting and found that there was genuine interest on the part of Fountain House, and yesterday I went back for another meeting. This time, the meeting was even more successful - somehow, more sincere and meaningful that the previous one. In describing my previous work with the Fisher Players, one of the administrators with whom I was meeting said "this, what you are describing, is what Fountain House should be about."

Their reactions were tremendously complimentary to me and to the idea of this work (one even got a little choked up talking about his experiences with the power of applied theatre) and they were very serious about making this program a reality in the best ways possible. So I've still got some more planning to do and folks to talk to over there, but at this point I can't help but be really thankful to God, and Matrix, and the Fisher Players, and everybody who helped to bring me to this opportunity. Can you tell I'm excited?

1 comment:

Mango Pancakes said...

That's so exciting! Congratulations. By the way, I saw the most amazing Forum piece in Rio done entirely by a group of people with mental illness and it had a lot to do with stigma, etc...and it was beautifully acted and staged and visually stunning, and anyway, I'd love to tell you more about it sometime.