Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In which I meet with a Titan and attend a mediocre play, all before cupcakes

The blooming of the Titan Arum was quite a thing to behold. It opened up at a time that was not so convenient for me (how rude!) but I was able to dash over on Saturday to check it out. Simply gorgeous.






I included a person in that image for size comparison. Pictures don't do it justice. It's this huge, dark flower that blooms desperately once, maybe twice in a person's lifetime. It didn't really smell much, and I was told that when it first opened it was sweating some kind of horrible putrid liquid, but by the time I got to it that had stopped, thankfully. It really was a sight to behold!


Later than evening, after a fabulous dinner at a nearby cuban place, my ex/good friend Elizabeth and I took in a show from the Fringe Festival. Although not the show we intended to see - there were some complications wth our plan - this show was not all awful. It was about two boys, friends, who are accused of planting a bomb at their school. The play examines the roots of violence in the home, although in a not terribly enjoyable/captivating/moving production. Well, that's Fringe for you. You spin the wheel and you take your chances.

From there we went to Magnolia for some cupcakes. At almost midnight on a saturday night, the line was around the corner and down the block! I recall when my sister Patience first took me there years ago, and informed me that they have a limit of cupcakes per customer. The place is still as busy as ever!

No comments: