Monday, May 22, 2006

In which I talk about my kitchen and sports. Thrilling, no?

First and foremost, the Matrix quinceanera was a really incredible experience, but I'm going to tabel that topic until I can get some pictures - because otherwise you might not believe the things I would say.

Here is an "after" picture to accompany the "before" picture of my kitchen. I'll pause while you take the appropriate sigh of relief.


Now then: it is my duty as a detroiter to talk about basketball (if you live near here you do not doubt this). Yes, the loss of the Red Wings was upsetting, particularly because we may have seen the last of Steve "if you tape my body back together I'll go out and win this game" Yzerman. But hockey is a game where the best team has only a slightly better chance of winning. There's way too much luck involved in hockey to adduce it as some sort of model for procedural justice. Also, there may be a curse on the President's Trophy.

I offer this description to contrast hockey with basketball. Yes, there is still a great deal of luck involved, but lucky bounces are far less of a factor in this high-scoring game, and ball movement is much more controlled than puck slapping. Basketball, particularly playoff basketball, is about team strength. For a while it seemed like everyone except LeBron James was off their game. No one is 100% great every game. But the difference came when the pistons team stepped up (e.g. lindsey hunter's explosion in the 2nd half of yesterday's game, Tayshaun Prince's Marathon of Good Basketball)and Lebron's team didn't. His team, without his stats, went 7-for-36 in the second half.

And I have to say I think it's about the way LeBron is hyped. His coach and all the announcers talked about how the key was to get LeBron the ball, and that other players shouldn't step up but let James make the plays. Well, guess what, kids? Despite everyone who maintains ad nauseam that he is, LeBron James is not Superman. He is great, but he will get tired. He will eventually be stopped by a good defense. In the long run, no single good player can outplay a good team. What kills me is that no one, except the detroit press, seems to get this. LeBron's team gets broken in the 7th game, goes down hard, and all the announcers can say is, "we're very excited about what's to come from this phenomenal player, LeBron (King) James. This is an amazing start." Ugh.

Woo, soapbox. Until next time, (best Mason impression) DEEEEETROIT BASKETBALL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's a good thing you taped your name and phone number to your refrigerator, otherwise you might forget them.

Anonymous said...

DEEETROIT BASKETBALL. leopold's tonight. 8 pm.