Monday, August 29, 2005

(unintelligible yelling, then) "The giant is awake!"

Never count the beast out until you're safely back at home, I guess. The bureaucratic leviathan has reared its head, spurred on by my shouts of triumph.

My master's degree is not done with me yet.

Apparently my first graduation application somehow disappeared, and my second - put through after an hour on the phone with the registrar this morning - came with an unsettling footnote: I am 3 credits short of the number I need. Why? Well, to my limitless dismay, it has come to light that the approval of my advisor for a course means nothing if the school doesn't agree. And they don't. My advisor says he should have checked.

It was a fine course, though. A fine-goodbye-three-thousand-dollars-and-now-I-have-to-come-up-with
-some-way-to-get-three-credits-and-can't-graduate-until-January course.

Have I mentioned lately how I hate everything?

Update: I will be getting my necessary credits through a practicum, for which I will be doing some writing and reading I kinda wanted/needed to do anyways. As for you, Ms. McDingo Pancakes, this issue arose largely because of my taking classes outside of our program/school, so do be EXTRA careful if attempting to do the same. Granted, had a full array of classes been offered in the summer term, I might not have had to go outside the program...Ah, well. No time to worry about this all now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should definitely check with both your sisters, who have experience in (a) education processess and (b) the law. I believe that if your advisor tells you a course will satisfy a requirement and you pay tuition and complete that class, the university is bound by that advisor's directions to you. That stinks.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Graham's mom! And holy crap, that totally blows and I will take SPECIAL care to make sure that all my courses are approved...