Sunday, August 07, 2005

Dr. Science - an underwater denizen?

I went back to Michigan this weekend, both to see my immediate family all together for the first time in a long while and to volunteer at the 156th annual Highland Games. The games are a major event for the St. Andrew's society, which is the Scottish benevolent society of which I became a third-generation member earlier this year. Just what did I do to volunteer to help out? Well, let's put it this way: I'm one of the three in the following picture to be holding a golf club:

Yep, in my spare time I'm the Loch Ness Monster. This little girl kept hugging me. Constantly. All day. I had my photo taken with about a thousand small children while in that beautifully-made-but-still-really-hot-inside costume. But don't worry, I also found time to taken advantage of the finer things in life...
...like visiting with highland cattle...
...having a staring contest with a baby...
...and answering the age-old question: how well can the Loch Ness Monster dance like a robot?

I ended up having a pretty fun - albeit strange - time as Nessie, and I even got to lead the march of the scottish clans during the day's main events. I think the kids there had fun with me, and it was for a good cause, so who's complaining?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally you have used your New York induced extradionary increase in size to fight for KAIJU goodness against the Nhar-Gh'ok!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wait, Messie!!! Come back, Messie!!! Soon you can trade in the Nessie costume for one of Godzilla....

Anonymous said...

that is perhaps one of the greatest things EVER.

Anonymous said...

Freaking amazing. The real question, however, is can you now empathize with the heat of the dancing circus bear costume?