Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Three hundred people living out in West Virginia/have no idea of all these thoughts that lie within you"

She said: "I'm thinking flashbacks. I want to show my past in flashbacks, very romantic and exciting, like a soap opera, with the pink border and everything, so that by comparison people can see how bleak my present is and how I have no future. What do you think?"

To which I replied:
"That sounds amazing."

While I was really thinking: "Oh my god. This is some serious you-just-found-out-there's-no-santa-and-your-baby-bunny
-has-to-eat-sand kind of business."

Yep. Beautifully told stories to make you feel terrible and fortunate all at the same time can only mean one thing: another theatre workshop at Fountain House! I've been running these for a while now, but Wednesday's was particularly good. We had some new folks who seemed especially talented and creative - and who brought especially sad stories. It's really weird sometimes to try and match their excitement about telling these things. "Oh, abandoned by your family in an abusive hospital, you say? Forty-some shock treatments? Sure, we can stage that." Still, I am always reminded that their ability to survive all this crap and then be willing to get up and talk about it makes them a lot braver than I think I'd be.

Man, bunnies do not like sand.

No comments: