Tuesday, July 03, 2007

On the subjects of Martin Walsh, the wonders of Canada, and the beginning of the end for my favorite place in NYC




The arb show this year was the Tempest, and while there were some good things and some bad things about this production, what was outstanding was the performance of Prospero by one Martin Walsh. I - and many others - have been waiting for him to take this role for a long time. And it was worth the wait.

While I was home for the arb show, my mom and sister hilary and I took a trip to some of our old haunts in Canada. And while anyone reading this should find the following as no surprise, I LOVE CANADA.

Do you want to see pictures of my childhood? Well, here you go. Most of the images I recall from that time include canada from the backseat of a car, and a few choice locations like the ice cream parlor in Amherstburg, (what's left of) the Copper Kettle, fields upon fields, Duffy's, the barn with the apple, etc. I love Canada. I love the people, the values, the comedy on TV there, everything.















Last but not least, I attended this year's Mermaid Parade. This may or may not be the last one, because, as you may have heard, Coney Island is set to be developed. I don't know what the extent of the demolition/building will be, but things will be different. So while I had the chance, I took in the parade, the freak show, and the beach with some friends.







No comments: