Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A Freemason, I.



My computer's been broken about a week (and also I've been busy with things like work and latin dancing 'til 2 a.m.), but I just couldn't put off writing about this any longer. As of last tuesday, I have been initiated in the ancient order of Free and Accepted Masons.

I think my sister Patience put it best when she said, "Part of why I'm so excited for you is that this is basically something you've wanted since you were about 10." And she's right. And what's even better? All of the build-up I've had in my mind about this event was totally correct. In addition to being tremendously moving and inspiring, the ceremony is full of crazy secret stuff: secret codes, handshakes, and everything else you could possibly ask for. I can't give you the details, but suffice it to say if this is any indication of what's in store for me in freemasonry, I couldn't have made a better choice.

Edit, 7/4: Yep, just like this. Only totally different. More than one friend has also admitted to assuming the Stonecutters' episode of the Simpsons has given them an accurate portrayal of the Masons. And on that I cannot comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unrelated comment:
If you know how to find Dr. Science without calling his cellphone, please do so! Some woman found his cell in a taxi last night and called Mr. and Mrs. Science here in Michigan to let them know. Thank you!!!

The once and future Dr. Science said...

EDIT: I've got my phone back! I happened to have been, at the time of the loss, with someone who very graciously called my phone repeatedly for about an hour until the call was answered (this was around 2-2:30 a.m.). This nice fellow brooklynite who found the phone returned it this morning. Thanks!