Monday, December 04, 2006

The iceskateer. The iceska-who?



(no, you're right, it's probably never a good idea to make Rocketeer allusions for humor)

Marie the Swede and some of her friends and I went ice skating at Bryant Park tonight. Now, you may have heard me mention before how totally inept New Yorkers are at walking in anything even vaguely resembling an orderly and considerate fashion, so to understand tonight, just apply that idea to ice, and speed it up. Yep. Ridiculous.

And yet, I had a really wonderful time. That's the thing I'm noticing more and more these days. As much as you might not want to, New York City will make you love the holiday season. It's crazy. I'll walk around thinking about how I don't really even like Christmas, I hate the throngs of tourists/holiday shoppers, and I don't like that it's getting cold. Then they'll go and put Christmas trees on the street corner so the air smells like pine, or they'll add decorations which, however cheesy, find some way to warm your heart. It's crazy, but it's New York in December and there's no place like it.

1 comment:

carolcatherine said...

why don't you stick that welding torch in my ear, and we'll call it the end of a perfect day.