Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Doin' stuff and also things

I've been behind on my correspondence, dear internet. What's been going on? Oh, lots of stuff, I guess. And also, not so much.


I moved, as you know, and unpacked the few belongings I brought. Probably more than half of my stuff is still in New York.


I've also seen a few friends. See what fun is being had in this picture? Yeah, good times. Anyways, I've been lucky enough to run into some cats from way back in the day, one of whom - a guy who went to my high school - is actually taking the course I'm teaching.





The highlight of my few weeks here was, undoubtedly, Funthena Week 2006. Athena (of whom I present, below, one of my favorite pictures, taken in Brooklyn) made the trip to Michigan for the very first time ever to visit yours truly. I played tour guide for sojourns around Ann Arbor and to Detroit, and we had dinner at a Japanese restaurant with my mother and Hilary and Luke. I've been havng kind of a tough time adjusting to being back in Ann Arbor, what with the being lonely and having so few people to talk to, so being with Athena was a welcome respite and a decidedly wonderful time. She's incredibly fun, sweet, and genuine; she also wants me to remind you that she's "ninety times hotter than other girls." I miss her very much.

I also attended the annual Robbie Burns dinner with the St. Andrew's Society. Robbie Burns is the poet laureate of Scotland, and the dinner was held at the Eagle Tavern at Greenfield Village...








where, apparently, the seats were reversed for the band.
Yep.

So here I am. I'm teaching at what is perhaps the most frustratingly bureaucratic university you can imagine. In addition, I miss New York and my amazing friends there; while Ann Arbor was great when I was in college, I am not in college anymore, and I am aware of how fun and beneficial for personal growth it can be to live in a place of constant vibrance, challenge, and opportunity. So what's next? Stick it out and try to make this UM program work? Return to New York? Take Dr. Lalwani's advice and go to med school? Move to Japan? Who can say? All I know is that spot of gray hair I've got ain't getting any smaller...

No comments: