Thursday, March 24, 2005

ad hoc oratorio

Friday last (this post bringing us to the conclusion of my backlogged week of fun)I was struck with the singluar intention that I should like to take in the symphony. I stumbled across a posting in the New Yorker for a presentation of Handel's oratorio "Solomon" and so i bought a ticket. And then I bought a shirt and tie, because I didn't have time to go home after work and the shirt I had on proudly proclaimed me as the "World's Greatest Grandpa." The performance was held in a big, old, Gothic church on the upper-west side, and the place was packed when I got there (well, packed, in my opinion, for being a church on a friday night). It turns out that the woman singing the female lead is a very prolific and reportedly on of the best singers of early music in the world. She was incredible. Even though Handel's piece isn't all that moving, her voice certainly made it so. The chorus was fabulous, too, and I left feeling really pleased about my spur-of-the-moment choice for culture.

Saturday I spent working on a group project and watching TV and eating ice cream, though, so it all averaged out.

No comments: