Thursday, July 31, 2008

In the city that never sleeps, I really need to

In four hours I have to wake up. I'll have to disassemble my bed, and then leave the apartment that I have spent so much time in, grown so much in, and head off to begin a new experience. As I said, new york is like a dream. Soon it will be time to wake up.

There was so much I wanted to write about in my last few days here, but, as always in this city, the time just flew by. The entire last month has been a blur. The Met, the Cooper-Hewitt, Greenwood Cemetery,and tiny little galleries. The Staten Island Yankees vs. the Batavia Muck Dogs and the Coney Island Cyclones vs. the Vermont Lake Monsters. Fireworks and more fireworks. Introducing old friends to new, reconnecting with folks from my past, and burning a few bridges for good measure. Dancing - oh lord, the dancing! 'til all hours of the night and morning - at Taj, at Lincoln Center, at Pier 54, and on the roof of good old 271. I said goodbye for now to some of my very best friends and loved ones. I ate a ton of incredible food, and I came to strongly realize that the me who came to New York City, twice, is not the same me who leaves here now. I hope I can say more about all this later, but it's late.

So here we go, kids! Off to a new adventure!

Time left in the city: oh, about three-and-a-half hours now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

take your time mourning the close of one wonderful chapter in your life, but know that i'm so excited to be able to live near you for the next one. call me when you're settled and we'll get you reacquainted with your new/old home :)

Anonymous said...

awwwwww. goodbye NYC! you have changed---remember when you didn't even have a bed to disassemble? thanks IKEA! at least you're a little closer to the west coast.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, ok. isn't it time for an update. I know you're busy, doc, but come on...