Thursday, February 28, 2008

I am indeed the future Dr. Science

I've held off talking about this online not only because I respect the jinx more than most, but also because I've heard horror stories about applicants' online words finding their way to interviewers' eyes - but at this point it's looking more and more like the matter is settled, so...let me start by saying: The application process for phds in neuroscience/genetics is really long and complicated. There are an awful lot of pieces that have to be compiled, you have to take the GRE, and then you have to battle the labyrinthine university bureaucracies who will try to tell you that what you've submitted never actually arrived/was in the wrong form. Several hundred dollars later, though, there's some fun to be had in the form of interview trips.

Of the schools to which I've applied, I was fortunate enough to get interviews at the top two. Which is a mystery in and of itself, I guess: Why would the top two programs in the country want me, but not the safety state schools to which I applied? Odd, that. Anyways, the program that's not in NYC, a neuroscience program, flew me out, put me up in a hotel, bought me every meal at fancy restaurants, and basically fawned all over me to get me to go there and it was AWESOME. Everyone should have that experience at least once in their life, that's for sure. The program in NYC, in genetics, was not so splendid, but still kind of cool with more subdued fawning.

That difference is really indicative of the contrast between the programs, though: the latter is unquestionably the most important school in the history of genetics, but seems to be resting on its reputation and laurels in the expectation that students will still want to attend. The former is making a real giant-size move for science, is already ranked #1 for behavioral neuroscience, and clearly wants to assemble the resources for a bright future. And their students get paid to fly all over the world for conferences and to give lectures; I met students who'd just returned from China and London. And they called me a day after the interview to tell me I was in (which both programs sort of unofficially told me on my interviews).

At this point I still have to hear from a few more schools, but these two were, at the outset, my top picks. I'm really surprised by the program in NYC's shabby present state, given its pedigree, but folks I talk to tell me that's not the first they've heard of it. I'm definitely leaning strongly toward the neuroscience program, but though the location is not ideal (exactly how much that should matter, I don't know).

I'll keep you posted on what I decide (which will have to happen soon, whether or not I hear from my remaining schools).

No comments: