Monday, October 16, 2006

What do you mean it's only barely monday? WHY IS IT NOT FRIDAY YET?!



(While several months old, that is still the strangest AND least attractive picture of me. I mean, I hope.)

I've been working more than I'm entirely comfortable with lately to try and get as much done as possible for our major grant renewal application for the lab. In addition, the time I have is shortened because.....

I am going home on Friday to celebrate Halloween! Highlights include attending a masked dance party at Jose's all of a few hours after arriving in michigan friday night, seeing Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D with Kitty-Chan, attending a Halloween Bang at the Blind Pig, going to a haunted Greenfield Village, AND preparing for/pulling off the most fun Halloween display in the free world at the Atkin house.

Man, could I use a break from New York. I love the place, don't get me wrong, but it's been pretty nuts since I returned, and at times very, very stressful. So this trip will be excellent for me. I'm excited to see my family and Sarah and my friends at home.

Now, of course, because it's very late at night/early in the morning, I will allow a modicum of sentimentality onto the tail-end of this post by saying that my reading about recent life-events in the blog posts of certain friends have reminded me that they will not be around ann arbor when I go there, and that that does make me kind of sad. But then I recall that if they were in ann arbor hanging out with me, they wouldn't be out brightening up other areas of the world (Margaret's in Chicago, Susie's in Boston, and Jim's in Medicalville, for examples). Which, I think, you'll agree is pretty necessary given the news these days. So I guess it all evens out. That's it. End of sentimentality; back to the cold, iron fist of science.

Science!

1 comment:

James said...

Man, I'd give my left hallux to be in ann arbor for halloween and see the famous Atkin haunted house... All this reading about pirates and such has definitely made me miss the old times. And I disagree--I think your pirate scene was directly responsible for the resurgence of pirate culture, and that it did spark a sequence of events leading to true and genuine consideration of pirates and their importance. I mean, isn't Cap'n Jack Sparrow just a thinly-veiled re-characterization of Captain Scourge? And without even the same depth of character. In my book, that play was an astounding victory for pirates everywhere.