Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Take this job and blog it


If this were a news article, the dateline would read "Slow lane, MI." Let me adduce this picture of my phone, which left me an alert message to tell me I had missed zero calls.

But I've not been entirely without fun. I attended an horrendously boring training for Americorps, which provides some of my funding, but it was so very very bad that I and those with me had a wonderful time making fun of the program, and I got to meet some genuinely cool people.
Then I was able to run a class I've been wanting to try since I started teaching, of which I have taken the accompanying picture. There was an activity to get students into the story of a refugee from Somalia; then, once a context for and interest in the issue of immigration had been generated, the students were tasked with creating an original piece of theatre which would involve an audience. Their audience, they were told, would arrive in one hour.

They did a wonderful job, and what resulted was a very interesting dicussion of immigration and a very involved and interested audience.

And then, Athena came to visit! Wow, she must really like Michigan. Or something. We had fun on Saturday making giant puppets at Matrix with my dad, spent a lot of time relaxing, watched the Warriors on DVD and the uber-stupid Stay Alive at the movies. We also played outside and colored. I was having such a good time that I forgot to take any pictures, so I have provided the following picture - in which I create her likeness out of her favorite food, wagon-wheel pasta. I think I got the bangs just right.

No comments: